Peanut Butter Fruit Skewers
Children eat with their eyes, and sadly healthy food often just does not look as good as pre-packaged sugary products. We as parents need to make sure that our children eat good quality food and get all the nutrition they need.
Is there anything better than peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? We created these cute caterpillar skewers with mini peanut butter sandwiches, switched jelly for fresh strawberries (to avoid added sugars) and added some banana slices. These skewers don’t just look appealing, they taste amazing too!
What are you waiting for? Get your ingredients ready!
For these delicious peanut butter fruit skewers you will need:
- 2 strawberries (for 2 skewers)
- 1 Banana
- Peanut butter
- Whole grain bread
- A cutting board and a knife
Step by step
- Cut off the top 1-2 cm of the strawberry off (this will be the heads - save the bottom parts for the skewers).
- Cut banana into slices
- Cut circles out of the bread
- Spread peanut butter on the bread and create mini sandwiches.
Now it’s time to put together the skewers.
- Start off with a mini sandwich.
- Next add one slice of banana
- Continue with strawberries
- Add another slice of banana
- Add a mini sandwich
- Add top of the strawberry.
That's it! Your healthy peanut butter and jelly sandwich alternative is ready to be served. You can always add extra ingredients of your choice. Remember that store-bought spreads are often full of artificial sweeteners and other ingredients, so if you can, try and make the spreads at home, it is easier than you might think.
Always try to look for healthier alternatives to serve your kids (and yourself!). Healthier alternatives don’t have to be expensive, and they are far healthier for you and your family.
Enjoyed our recipe? We would love to see your creations! Share your photos with us on instagram and tag @babysits